Florida Statute 713.10
713.10 Extent of liens
(1) Except as provided in s. 713.12, a lien under this part shall extend to, and only to, the right, title, and interest of the person who contracts for the improvement as such right, title, and interest exists at the commencement of the improvement or is thereafter acquired in the real property. When an improvement is made by a lessee in accordance with an agreement between such lessee and her or his lessor, the lien shall extend also to the interest of such lessor.
(2)(a) When the lease expressly provides that the interest of the lessor shall not be subject to liens for improvements made by the lessee, the lessee shall notify the contractor making any such improvements of such provision or provisions in the lease, and the knowing or willful failure of the lessee to provide such notice to the contractor shall render the contract between the lessee and the contractor voidable at the option of the contractor.
(b) The interest of the lessor is not subject to liens for improvements made by the lessee when:
1. The lease, or a short form or a memorandum of the lease that contains the specific language in the lease prohibiting such liability, is recorded in the official records of the county where the premises are located before the recording of a notice of commencement for improvements to the premises and the terms of the lease expressly prohibit such liability; or
2. The terms of the lease expressly prohibit such liability, and a notice advising that leases for the rental of premises on a parcel of land prohibit such liability has been recorded in the official records of the county in which the parcel of land is located before the recording of a notice of commencement for improvements to the premises, and the notice includes the following:
a. The name of the lessor.
b. The legal description of the parcel of land to which the notice applies.
c. The specific language contained in the various leases prohibiting such liability.
d. A statement that all or a majority of the leases entered into for premises on the parcel of land expressly prohibit such liability.
3. The lessee is a mobile home owner who is leasing a mobile home lot in a mobile home park from the lessor.
A notice that is consistent with subparagraph 2. effectively prohibits liens for improvements made by a lessee even if other leases for premises on the parcel do not expressly prohibit liens or if provisions of each lease restricting the application of liens are not identical.
(3) Any contractor or lienor under contract to furnish labor, services, or materials for improvements being made by a lessee may serve written demand on the lessor for a copy of the provision in the lease prohibiting liability for improvements made by the lessee, which copy shall be verified under s. 92.525. The demand must identify the lessee and the premises being improved and must be in a document that is separate from the notice to the owner as provided in s. 713.06(2). The interest of any lessor who does not serve a verified copy of the lease provision within 30 days after demand, or who serves a false or fraudulent copy, is subject to a lien under this part by the contractor or lienor who made the demand if the contractor or lienor has otherwise complied with this part and did not have actual notice that the interest of the lessor was not subject to a lien for improvements made by the lessee. The written demand must include a warning in conspicuous type in substantially the following form:
YOUR FAILURE TO SERVE THE REQUESTED VERIFIED COPY WITHIN 30 DAYS OR THE SERVICE OF A FALSE COPY MAY RESULT IN YOUR PROPERTY BEING SUBJECT TO THE CLAIM OF LIEN OF THE PERSON REQUESTING THE VERIFIED COPY.
History.-s. 1, ch. 63-135; s. 35, ch. 67-254; s. 1, ch. 85-103; s. 1, ch. 92-148; s. 806, ch. 97-102; s. 1, ch. 2011-212; s. 4, ch. 2012-211.
Note.-Former s. 84.101.