Board-Certified In Construction Law By The Florida Bar

Do you need a permit for a mooring device?

On Behalf of | Feb 3, 2017 | Construction Law

You know that you need building permits for homes and other such structures in Fort Lauderdale, but what about something simple like a mooring device for your boat? Do you still have to get a permit, or can you just have it constructed without one?

You do need a permit. This is covered in Article IV of the Code of Ordinances, in Sec. 8-91. – Mooring structures.

According to the code, you must get a permit from the building department before construction starts on any boat davits, docks, hoists, slips or mooring piles. The code is then fairly open-ended by saying you must also have a permit for any “similar boat mooring structures.”

To get the permit, you must prove that you own the land connected to the water — that the waterfront property is yours — or that you have permission to use that land. For example, you may have gotten permission from a neighbor or family member to build on their land even though you don’t own waterfront property yourself; in some situations, this permission may be granted by a government agency. Either way, you need to have proof of the permission in writing.

Even after construction has been carried out, the mooring device has to be inspected. If issues are found, you’ll get a notice telling you to correct them and giving you 30 days to do so.

Boats and water-related activities are part of life in Fort Lauderdale, and they’re a big reason why people love to live here. It’s very important to know what you’re legally obligated to do when building on waterfront property to accommodate any craft that you own.

Source: Municode, “Article IV. – Docks, Boat Slips, Etc.,” accessed Feb. 03, 2017